[Pharo-project] Removing ReferenceStream

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 16:18:27 EDT 2012

Hi guys. Right now ReferenceStream is deprecated, not removed. In another
thread, I asked about cleaning DataStream and let it ONLY for Monticello.
That way we can really simplify DataStream, remove DiskProxy and much more.
For more details see: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6036.
Then whoever need a serializer, it can use Fuel which is already
integrated.
The problem is that keeping ReferenceStream as deprecated means that it has
to run...meaning that I cannot remove nothing but deprecate
everything...DataStream has extension methods in about 20
classses...meaning I have to rename 20 protocols from *SystemObject Storage
to *Depreacted20. Apart from even more work is needed to keep it "alive".

So...sometimes it is really hard to keep everything as deprecated. We don't
have manpower enough to keep everything 100% deprecated 100% of the time.
Fuel works out of the box from Pharo 1.1 to 2.0 so if anybody needs to move
data from previous images, he can use Fuel. Not sure how many people is
using ReferenceStream but I have been founding bugs in the last years that
nobody even reported..

So, can I remove ReferenceStream?

thanks

--