[Pharo-project] Some steps towards headless on OS X

Mark Smith mark.smith at objectbynature.com
Sun Jun 3 15:11:16 EDT 2012

On 3 Jun 2012, at 18:27, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Mark Smith wrote
>>
>> Marking the process as background only will remove the icon, menu etc. but
>> it will not stop us from creating that window.
>> Anyway I'd like to keep working on this but I've hit a wall
> Are your changes publicly available anywhere?

I didn't make many changes yet. The machinery is already there but isn't functional.

If you set the LSBackgroundOnly key in Info.plist to YES and run headless you will see that the icon and menu bar are gone… only the window remains :).

With this change in place –

When the VM is not run in headless mode it it brings itself into the foreground. Unfortunately this cannot work the other way around because foreground processes cannot become background processes (we'll have to ask Apple why that is exactly :).

When the VM is run in headless mode it stays in the background, but our window will be visible.

If we can change the VM such that no window is created in headless mode then everything should function as we expect. That's where I get lost.  The obvious thing to try (which I tried ;) is to not create a window, but then the VM doesn't start and the application just exits [normally]. I have no idea why starting the VM would have anything to do with the creation of a window but this seem to be the case.

That said Mac applications aren't exactly friendly to headless operation. That is that they're sort-of-intended to be graphical.

The other solution would be to make a headless VM, similar in operation to perl/python/ruby... which is really what we want.

I think ;).