[Pharo-project] NB FileSystem Primitives Speedup

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 12:22:26 EDT 2012

You know, Sean, what i like about C that every time i entering C
domain i need to
solve yet another hard to crack puzzle which takes unpredictably big
amount of time.
And you can never be sure that there is no hidden surprises behind next turn..
something which conceptually trivial to implement and even can fit on
one blank of paper
in C code, could take days before you can make it working.

Because C programming practices strictly following WYSIWYDG principle
(What You See Is What You DONT Get).

So, every time you feel like you lack of confusing moments during your day,
just go to /usr/include directory, open any header and try to read it ... :)

Or if you prefer C++, best is to read STL library code, or Boost  code.

On 2 June 2012 17:51, Sean P. DeNigris <sean at clipperadams.com> wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote
>>
>> To me it just shows that there is no concerted momentum around VMs...
>> Probably Pythoners and ruby people are more concerned.
>>

> Yes. Probably they are concerned because they are so much slower than us ;)
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/performance.php?test=meteor
>
> Don't get discouraged. The VM is frightening and mysterious to many, but
> with the help of Igor, Mariano, and others around to write blogs, answer
> questions, improve the build process, and lead the charge to improve, it
> seems that working on the VM is becoming more and more accessible/common...
> Even last year at ESUG, with 1 year using Smalltalk, I found building and
> working on the VM frustrating and confusing. But now, esp. with
> Jenkins/git/etc, it's a snap, for example, to build debug VMs, step through
> execution, and even submit VM patches.
>
> Let's keep our great energy and progress multiplying...
>
> Sean

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.