[Pharo-project] NB FileSystem Primitives Speedup

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jun 2 11:01:57 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 04:11:16PM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
> >> That will definitely make a huge performance improvement. Here is something
> >> similar (probably bit rotted but maybe still of interest):
> >>
> >> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2274
> >>

> > it is a pity that this stuff was never integrated into VMs..
> > or actually never added to file plugin replacing it's naive implementation.
>
> I do not understand the process of VM enh.
> David what prevent it to get used?
> May be we should add it the pharo version and suddenly it will kick the system.
> But I'm rather puzzled and sad.
>
> Stef

That is easy to explain ... I was lazy and did not bother to maintain it ;)

As for process, it is simple. Just build the plugin (though it probably
will need maintenance for bit rot), and add it to your VM builds. On
the image side, add the support to use the plugin if present, else fall
back on old methods.

I like small plugins because they are modular and reliable. They can
be added and removed without a lot of coordination with VM builders,
platform maintainers, etc. On the image side, you can easily detect
if the plugin is present, so it is not necessary to worry so much
about what version of VM or FilePlugin is running.

So the answer is ... Just Do It :)

<OT>
IMHO more people need to learn how to write small plugins. It is important
for modularity and reliability, and for trying new VM experiments without
waiting for a "VM guru" to help. Maybe you can also provide a way for
people to add their experimental plugins to the Jenkins builds too, so
that they can be made quickly available to anyone with an interest.
</OT>

Dave