[Pharo-project] Process Tests and

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 05:07:10 EDT 2012

On 2 June 2012 10:28, Stefan Marr <smalltalk at stefan-marr.de> wrote:
> Hi Sean:
>
> On 02 Jun 2012, at 05:07, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
>
>> During the process, I noticed that the Blue Book specifies that #fork
>> returns the block itself (pg. 252), while in Pharo it returns the process
>> (see #testFork in the slice). Should our implementation be changed to match
>> the Blue Book?
>
> Why would it be desirable to have the block?

> How would you obtain the process object after your change?

by using #newProcess.

using the return  value of fork provokes you to write incorrect concurrent code.
for instance, i found once, some code which assumes that forked
process not yet started,
or not yet terminated, and people trying to do something with process
immediately after issuing #fork.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.