[Pharo-project] Memory usage

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jul 31 10:09:48 EDT 2012

Hi Jannik,

I am not a Mac user, and I have only ever done this on Linux, so I cannot
promise that it will be easy. Possibly Esteban can give us some advice here,
and correct my errors. Also, if you are going to try this, we may want to
take the discussion to the vm-dev list.

You will need to install the Mac tools for compiling Unix programs (sorry
I do not know what this is called) and you will need to be able to compile
programs using CMake and the gcc tools on a Mac. I know very little about
this myself, but I'm sure others can give some tips.

The actual VM that you will need to build will be an interpreter VM, and
you will be building it with a preprocessor macro set to force use of
the 64-bit object format. The resulting VM will be slow compared to what
you are used to with Cog, and it may not have all the features that you
would expect from a Mac VM (i.e. the VM that Esteban supports), but I
expect that it should work on Mac and that it would allow you to run a
64-bit image prepared with the SystemTracer.

As luck would have it, Ian Piumarta is in the process of updating the unix
VM code right now, and this will make it easier to do the build for 64-bit
images. I would say that we should wait a couple of days before starting
any new work on this so that we have all of the latest updates.

I'm not sure if this is something that you want to get into, and it is not
what I would call "easy" ;) But if you want to try it I will do my best
to step you through the process.

Dave