[Pharo-project] Going meta (VM development)

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Mon Jul 30 15:33:23 EDT 2012

Igor,

The Zinc project[1] is a good example.

First there is the README.md which introduces you to the project[2]. The README.md is a document (under version control) that can be updated by any member of the development team[3] in the GlassDB organization. The document uses markdown[6], so you get nice formatting and syntax highlighting for your Smalltalk code. You can see the history of the document[5] and easily access diffs (click around on the page). If you have permissions you can even edit the document via your web-browser (useful for minor tweaks).

The same set of capabilities also exist for any other text files that you might like shells scripts, makefiles, etc. Smalltalk code can be stored in the repository[7], via FileTree[8].

The README is not the only way to share information. Sven's writeup on Zinc is an additional example of shared documentation.

With regards to interacting with real-live code, take a look at the interactions of Paul and I on this pull request[10]. If you click on one of the files[11] in the comment boxes associated with the pull request you can see and example where Paul and I had a small discussion about changes to a particular Smalltalk method....

When Paul submitted the pull request, I made a pass through the changes and commented on each change that I had questions/comments about. Paul was notified of my comments and responded to each one in his own time ... and in some cases I came back and re-responded ... In this particular instance Paul and I realized that because we were seeing to many differences that "didn't make sense" that we were probably integrating the wrong code and ended up deciding to got with a different approach, that resulted in a separate pull request[12] being submitted and merged.

Here's the issues list[13]...

Some folks use github to host their own blogs as well, although I haven't looked into the details for that.

If you are looking for true interaction and collaboration, I think that github is hard to beat....

You do have to learn git to use github and I would not claim that git is easy to learn, but there are lots of resources on the web for teaching you git....if you don't have the time to learn git then that should be a factor, but you should weigh that against the amount of time spent trying to collaborate and the cost of learning git may just be worth it and then again it may not.

Dale

[1] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc
[2] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/blob/gemstone2.4/README.md
[3] https://github.com/organizations/glassdb/teams/