[Pharo-project] [ENH]: Test Failure Browser

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 09:08:03 EDT 2012

Hi Sean. I have improved a couple of things in Fuel. Now you can:
a) attach additional objects to the object to serialize (useful for custom
metadata)
b) add pre and post materialization actions (clean closures)

Reviving failed unit tests is cool, but we still miss the OTHER information
that is in a PharoDebug.log which is not the stack, that is, VM version,
image version, timetamp, etc. So what I did in HDTestReport is to store all
that info as "additional objects" to the serialization of the test failure.
Then, what I also did is to register a post materialization action that
directly opens the debugger :)

So...TestMedic (anyway, I think TestReviver is much cooler) now just need
to do:

materialize: fuelFileReference

FLMaterializer materializeFromFileNamed: fuelFileReference fullName.
And...what I want to do (but no time today) is to modify the UI so that
when you select a test, on the right side you have a panel that displays
the vm version, timestamp and image version of the failed test. To do that
you can do:

header := FLMaterializer materializeHeaderFromFileNamed:
'FLBasicSerializationTest-testBitmap.fuel'.
header additionalObjectAt: #VM.   "this answers the vm string"
header additionalObjectAt: #Image.
header additionalObjectAt: #Timestamp.

so you can just take that and print it in the UI :)

So...if you think this is useful then I can:

1) create an issue to integrate new version of fuel  ( you can find this
new code in ss3 last commits).
2) create an issue to integrate new HDTestReport ( I attach here the new
version.)
3) add anything else apart from vm, image and timestamp that you feel that
would be a good idea.

Cheers,