[Pharo-project] ODBC on W7 and Pharo 1.4

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 07:16:26 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de> wrote:

> >But it does not declare anything which is needed e.g for
> >understanding SQLDouble and the like.
>
> Because FFI is a general callout mechanism for native APIs
> and the ODBC package is just implemented on top of it.
>
> So why should the FFI docu cover the ODBC stuff?
> FFI docu just describes how to call external libs (written in C or
> others).
>
> The ODBC package is nothing more than a wrapper around
> some Win32 API functions like SQLAllocEnv, etc. The docu
> for them can be found in MSDN (just Google).
>
> If you want to track problems in the ODBC package
> check the code and see if it does correct callouts
> and use correct data types according to Microsoft specs.
>
> Just by looking at the code, maybe
>  - #initializeDataTypes has a wrong definition
>  - maybe the ODBCConstants definition is wrong
>  - maybe #initializeResultSet:number: has a problem
>
> You should debug your problem since you have a reproducable case
> or switch to a newer, more supported package like DBXTalk with
> an active mailinglist.
>
> >Sorry, does that mean the name I gave to the Data source must be placed
> >in host?
>
> Yes, that worked for me. "host" is a bit misleading - for an
> SQLite connection it can be the local path, for ODBC its the DSN name
> for a network database it is the hostname or IP address.

Yes! I know it is misleading, the thing is we've made only one common
protocol for every database.  Specific methods to be more friendly to
special cases like SQLite ODBC are maybe a good idea, isn't it? :^)

> >I'm sorry but how should one know that?
>
> Note that is a general interface to databases. You can not
> assume that the developers of OpenDBX/DBXTalk test any kind
> of database (here MS Access) and give you a docu for database
> specific connections.

> DBXTalk covers typical relational databases used in enterprise these
> days (oracle, MSSQL, MySQL, ...), includes tests
> and its nice to have such an initiative.

Yeap, the normal cases are covered in the docs in the website.  For
specific stuff I recommend you to have a look at the tests...

> >So what am I supposed to write into database? A table name?
>
> Did you try to leave it blank or use the same name as the DB?
>
> If I were you I would create a simple DB with Access with a
> simple predefined table. Then setup the ODBC connection and
> try to connect to it. If that works do a simple query.
> If that communication works it should be no problem to
> create/query tables from Smalltalk. However - if you have
> DBXTalk specific questions switch to the DBXTalk mailinglist
>
> (http://dbxtalk.smallworks.com.ar  then "Support")

Yeap, you're welcome to subscribe :).

Then again, if you want to have a look at some DBX examples, you can have a
look at the tests.  In particular, a connection example to a MSSQL database
over ODBC can be found in

DBXOdbcMSSQLFacility>>createConnection

in the package OpenDBXDriverTests. It looks like:

DBXConnectionSettings host: 'MSSQL' port: '3004' database: 'sodbxtest'
userName: 'crapodino' userPassword: 'florynano'.

I really don't know how this will behave with Access (I don't have access
installed either :/). If you can give it a try and provide us any idea we
can put it into the tests/website :).

Bye