[Pharo-project] [ANN] Alternative view of a system browser

Goubier Thierry thierry.goubier at cea.fr
Wed Jul 25 04:49:41 EDT 2012

Le 21/07/2012 08:55, Fernando Olivero a écrit :
> Hi, nice work. Looking forward to play with it.
> Is it similar to the Newspeak browser? Where methods expand in place.
>
> Fernando

No, not with the methods expanding in place. But yes, when looking at
the tree.

At the moment, it tries to answer two needs :

A high level view of the overall system, down to as much detail you'd
like (i.e. methods), but while still staying compact (overall view). And
with a hierarchical organisation you can customize.

A simple UI, so that you can play with multiple browsers at the same
time (hence see multiple methods at the same time, that is two or three).

I tried to look into a more advanced design, where I would be able to
use the whole Pharo background image as the class tree, but I lack the
correct data representation to make use of that (and it involves a bit
more implementation effort). It would have looked this way :

* A single graph / tree for the entire image, layed on the world morph,
wher you can open / close subsets.

* A few (3-5) simple morphs windows / editors with the look of a
workspace, showing just the code of a method / a class, triggered by
double-clicking on one item of the graph/tree.

But the normal, treeMorph layout, is more vertical than horizontal, and
would have not made good use of the screen real estate; also because
when you look at the code organisation, it's not very deep : I've found
only :
* group of packages
* package
* Class category
* Class
* Class side of class
* Method protocol
* Method
Which is only 7 deep at worst.

I think this approach could be tried with a different representation,
maybe using Mondrian? But at the same time, the tree morph is very
powerful because it's very easy when doing keyboard navigation.

Thierry

--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list