[Pharo-project] Spec questions

Goubier Thierry thierry.goubier at cea.fr
Mon Jul 16 07:14:45 EDT 2012

Here I come with somme feedback on Spec.

I tried to rebuilt an example using a tree view using spec this
week-end, and it went fairly well (after a few misunderstandings).

So, if I summarize what Spec is :

* A herarchical view of models (a model is composed of submodels, where
submodels may themselves be composite), up to elementary models provided
by Spec.
* A related hierarchy of views, which are created by specs.
* Each model provides a defaultSpec to create the display.
* Each model, even a composite, must implement the following methods :
initializePresenter, initializeWidgets. And use instantiateModels:!
* Models are linked to one another by appropriate "trigger" blocks.

Good points :

* Creating a window is very easy; just call openWithSpec.
* The declarative aspect of Spec methods seems nice for a GUI painter.
* There are enough models for a good start.

A bit confusing so far with Spec:

* Some examples have twice the submodels initialization
(ClassMethodBrowser, in initialize and initializeWidgets)
* Two syntaxes are available in xSpec methods
* Two syntaxes are available in calls to instantiateModels:
* I don't know yet how an existing application would connect to a
Spec-based GUI (i.e. I don't know how to do a M-MVC app with it).
* I haven't found a declarative way of setting up relations between models.
* The spec and instantiateModels syntax isn't detailed.
* I don't know how to integrate a non-spec morph and model.
* The level of customization is frightening (TreeModel defaultSpec) but
this seems to be a Morphic problem overall.
* Exploring the generated morph hierarchy doesn't help much, due to the
complexity linked with each morph object.
* Why isn't there is a bit of info in the HelpBrowser ? It's easier to
read the doc this way instead of toggling between a Pharo window and a
pdf reader.

I'll show you soon my results with spec!

Thierry

--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list