[Pharo-project] [update 2.0] #20209

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 18:05:00 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at beta9.be>wrote:

> On 13 Jul 2012, at 15:44, Marcus Denker wrote:
>
> > Issue 6356:   some cleanups related to methods moved away from
> SmalltalkImage (vm and os related)
> >       http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6356
>
> OK. but how can a poor library developer trying to write code that has to
> remain compatible with 1.3 and 1.4 deal with this ?

Last version of Fuel works from Pharo 1.1 to 2.0. What we do is to have
"Compatibility packages" which are usually some overrides in a few methods.
Fuel's "trunk" is CLEAN, as good as possible (no need of any backward
compatibility) and expected to work in latest Pharo while all the rest is
fixed in those overrides for those compatibility packages. For example, see
ConfigurationOfFuel:

spec
package: 'FuelCompatibilityForSqueak' with: [ spec requires: #(
'FuelCompatibilityBeforePharo12' ) ];
package: 'FuelCompatibilityBeforePharo12' with: [ spec requires: #(
'FuelCompatibilityBeforePharo13' ) ];
package: 'FuelCompatibilityBeforePharo13' with: [ spec requires: #(
'FuelCompatibilityBeforePharo14' ) ];
package: 'FuelCompatibilityBeforePharo14' with: [ spec requires: #(
'FuelCompatibilityBeforePharo20' ) ];
package: 'FuelCompatibilityBeforePharo20' with: [ spec requires: #( 'Fuel'
) ].

The browse any of those packages to see what I mean.

Maybe something like this can help you.

Cheers

--
Mariano