[Pharo-project] Keymapping - What is the Status

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 09:03:22 EDT 2012

Je, I've been busy lately with other important things :P.  So...

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <sean at clipperadams.com>wrote:

> I haven't heard anything lately...
>
> Specifically:
> * What, if anything, remains to be done?

Ah, there's always a lot to be done :).
Current status: today Keymapping is mainly used by
- Spotlight
- and Nautilus is really making use of it. (load 2.0 and look at the new
shortcuts for example).

So, with the 1.4 introduction of Spotlight, the Keymappings framework is
introduced in the image by default.  The same happened already in 2.0 some
months ago.

What can be done:
 - One path that should be walked is to start migrating the morphic
overrides of #keyStroke: that are clearly shortcuts to Keymapping
declarative shortcuts.  But as the build is not green yet, and I want to
kill SystemChangeNotifier before, and working on the bootstrap (in some new
hacky cool stuff) I'm out of time :).

- kill some ugly things in the vm keyboard handling :).

- I want to play with the idea of having shortcut sets.  That is not so
difficult with the current implementation, but some ideas appear like,
having shortcuts inheritance between sets.

and I've more in the list...

> * Are shortcuts now customizable per-user?

He, there is a package that integrates keymappings with the settings
framework (Keymapping-Settings), but there are not yet shortcuts configured
to use it. It adds a morph that catches keyboard input and lets you
customize the shortcuts. This morph is not 100% good from the usability
point of view.
If you want to have a look at examples, you have the Keymapping-Debugger
package from http://www.squeaksource.com/ShortWays . Which adds some (ugly)
shortcuts for the debugger: step in, step out...  And Philippe added the
configurations to let them be seen by the settings framework.

If you want to help, I appreciate it :P :).

Guille