[Pharo-project] New Command Line Behavior

Camillo Bruni camillobruni at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 17:27:39 EDT 2012

On 2012-07-05, at 21:36, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Hi (Camillo),
>
> Is there some place that describes the new features of the command line ? ;-)

If any place then the class comment of CommandLineHandler ;P

> I was just trying a bit right now (in Linux, latest VM, latest mage).
>
> It seems that just starting an image with no args results in it reading an expression from stdin, right ? But I have to do a ctrl-d to end the input and have it evaluated and printed. And then the image quits, no repl loop ?

There was an issue with that Guillermo reported, so for now this has been deactivated.
You have to explicitly enable the 'eval' handler to read from pipe in.
So far it will just try to read from stind unit it #atEnd returns true, I guess that is not
fully compliant with the standard behavior of linux scripts :P

REPL: I have a multiline history repl in alpha state:
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~dh83/readline

It currently needs some more documentation, but I guess I can make it go into the
2.0 default image next week or so, then people can start to give some feedback.

> Also for the eval option, it does not work, unless I do a ctrl-d manually. You once posted this example:
>
> ./bin/CogVM -vm-display-null -vm-sound-null Pharo-2.0.image eval '1+2'
>
> Should it still work ?

yes that should still work, either with 'eval' or '-e' à la ruby ;)