Goubier Thierry thierry.goubier at cea.fr
Thu Jul 5 10:37:18 EDT 2012

Le 05/07/2012 15:59, Dale Henrichs a écrit :
> | It still shows that the Smalltalk/via Filetree model isn't the one
> | git
> | expects, but we do benefit from it. I'm also not certain git would
> | follow class renames.
>
> There aren't really any files outside of the properties file that are associated with a class in this model, so there's nothing explicit to track ... the methods in the class will be tracked nicely (as a rename).

So that's different from the current FileTree format then ? The FileTree
I do use has .class directories.

> | > multiple files makes reading source on disk a bit awkward, but
> | > that's what we've got the Smalltalk image for ... how many people
> | > out there unzip their .mcz files to read Smalltalk source?
> |
> | Me!
> |
> | I do open .mcz  files at times; I appreciate the fact it's as easy as
> | clicking on it and then search into the produced files.
> |
> | The fact that Linux recognize them as zip archives helps, too.
>
> Haha...well the directory structure is searchable, too .. just a more complicated incantation:)

Yes, that's true. Both formats are nice in my opinion: mcz since they
can easily be carried around and have a nice way of showing version and
developper; and the a file per method, a directory for a class is ok too.

So far, in my experience, all version control systems have to be
"encaged" in a set of rules of use to fit the work culture of the team,
group or lab. At the moment, I'm not entirely sure of the rules followed
in the Pharo culture, so I'm a bit hesitant to raise issues (and tend to
bring along a small set of changes to be made each time I restart from a
fresh Pharo image, including a few gophers to get the packages I need).

Maybe a small documentation about how to keep an image up-to-date? How
to deal with slices? A way to extract all the changes on a package as a
change set?

In a way, Monticello is very convincing and powerfull (maybe just
because it works as it is and is integrated), and in others, it's
annoying to see how more powerfull and better it could be.

Thierry
--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list