[Pharo-project] Is Pharo a Smalltalk or Smalltalk inspired? (was I added a german wikipedia article on pharo)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 08:38:12 EDT 2012

On 5 July 2012 11:44, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> On 05. 07. 2012 11:07, Marcus Denker wrote:
>> On Jul 5, 2012, at 10:59 AM, Helene Bilbo wrote:
>
>>> And i ask,
>>> because the first line on the Pharo homepage says it’s:
>>> "Smalltalk-inspired“.
>
>> The idea is that if Pharo is Smalltak, it will always be Smalltalk. We can not move
>> on. If it is Smalltalk Inspired, we can take the *ideas* behind Smalltalk and seriously
>> move forward.
>>
>> E.g. take the Slots. Smalltalk has no first class Slots, Pharo will. If Pharo would *be* Smalltalk
>> it could not.

Pharo IS smalltalk.
Smalltalk by its nature are made to be easily changed.

I don't remember the precise quote from Alan Kay, where he said that
he feels a bit disappointed about the fact that people never thought
about having more subclasses of Behavior than just Class and Metaclass.

Please don't turn the idea into dogma.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.