[Pharo-project] Is Pharo a Smalltalk or Smalltalk inspired? (was I added a german wikipedia article on pharo)

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Thu Jul 5 05:44:40 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

On 05. 07. 2012 11:07, Marcus Denker wrote:
> On Jul 5, 2012, at 10:59 AM, Helene Bilbo wrote:

>> And i ask,
>> because the first line on the Pharo homepage says it’s:
>> "Smalltalk-inspired“.

> The idea is that if Pharo is Smalltak, it will always be Smalltalk. We can not move
> on. If it is Smalltalk Inspired, we can take the *ideas* behind Smalltalk and seriously
> move forward.
>
> E.g. take the Slots. Smalltalk has no first class Slots, Pharo will. If Pharo would *be* Smalltalk
> it could not.

Why not rather move all Smalltalk forward instead? Good ideas from Pharo
should be communicated to other Smalltalks. And vice versa - good ideas
from other Smalltalks should be studied and put in Pharo. But Pharo
should stay Smalltalk, not 'Smalltalk inspired'.

Please, don't divide Smalltalk community but act as much as possible in
joint spirit! Which of course doesn't mean that moving forward is
necessary. And I also don't see why you cannot move forward and stay
Smalltalk? Certainly not from a Slots example.

If Pharo will try to distance from Smalltalk rather than contribute and
improve it, I'm sure many of us will rethink if Pharo is worth
supporting or not.

Best regards
Janko

--