Goubier Thierry thierry.goubier at cea.fr
Thu Jul 5 04:32:13 EDT 2012

Le 04/07/2012 17:50, Dale Henrichs a écrit :
> Yes,
>
> FileTree is actually modeling the Monticello definition structure on disk ... git does a very good job of tracking changes at the method level when methods are stored in separate files (it recognizes method renames) ...

Well, there is still the fact that :

- One version of Filetree over the past months changed the name of the
directory from PackageName to PackageName.package; kind of messed up the
git history tracking...

- And git really likes to do git add for all the new files that appears
on a regular basis.

It still shows that the Smalltalk/via Filetree model isn't the one git
expects, but we do benefit from it. I'm also not certain git would
follow class renames.

> multiple files makes reading source on disk a bit awkward, but that's what we've got the Smalltalk image for ... how many people out there unzip their .mcz files to read Smalltalk source?

Me!

I do open .mcz  files at times; I appreciate the fact it's as easy as
clicking on it and then search into the produced files.

The fact that Linux recognize them as zip archives helps, too.

Thierry
--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list