Dennis Schetinin chaetal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 00:03:01 EDT 2012

Dale,

Thank you for all (this and other) explanations you provided on the topic.

When the topic is to provide another backend for storing Smalltalk code, it's absolutely ok and all the advantages are understood.

But when some people say something like "source code is text and nothing more" (at least that's what I hear, though I can be mistaking) and we shouldn't reinvent the wheel… and I see it in context of "Smalltalk is so unpopular"… and the logic is something like: we should popularize it — hence we should use (preferably, only) git for source-code control — and we should abandon images because most developers do not like them, etc, etc. Well, it's a bit scaring, because when I try to extrapolate and understand where it is leading us, I wonder where's Smalltalk there?  Do we need it at all?! :)

Once again, I just feel this tendency in our society, and it's very likely I'm misunderstanding and absolutely wrong. I'll be glad to know I am, so I just wanted to clarify.

Best regards,
Dennis Schetinin