Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Wed Jul 4 11:21:12 EDT 2012

Dennis,

Of course not ... There are tons of resources that we Smalltalkers use that are not "turtles all the way down" ... What issue tracker is used by Pharo? When you download your pharo image and changes file is that web-site a Smalltalk site?

Right now, the combination of git/github is superior to anything written in Smalltalk. Have you taken a look at the most excellent collaboration features available on github? GitHub is used by over a million developers and they are constantly adding new features/capabilities ...

Do I think that everyone should drop what they are doing and move to git/github? NO!

If you want to provide a Smalltalk-based solution that is superior to git/github, I say "get cracking"! We've been in need of a replacement for SqueakSource for at 2-3 years now, but github sets the bar pretty high:)

I and a few others (Cami and Max Leske) are working on opening up the world of git/github to the Smalltalk community. The work we are doing is firmly grounded in Monticello and when it is done, you should have an experience that isn't much different than using the MonticelloBrowser and SqueakSource today ...

As Stef and Sven have indicated it's not quite ready...

FileTree[1] is ready right now, but to use it you must do your git operations from the command line ... Also, if you want other developers to have easy access to your Monticello packages, you still have to publish them as .mcz files. A bit painful, but I've been doing most of my development since January this way...

I am currently working on a release of Metacello[2] that will be git/github aware. When ready, you will be able to use git/github for your development and publish a Metacello configuration referencing your project on GitHub without having to publish separate .mcz files. And developers using your project won't have to understand git/github as the Monticello packages will be downloaded by Metacello.

I've created a sample project[3] that you can load into your image, if you want to get an idea what the GitHub support will look like.

The FSGit project[4] that Cami referred to will provide image-level support for manipulating git and github.

The Cypress project[5] is a project for sharing Smalltalk source code across multiple Smalltalk dialects. Currently there are 6 Smalltalk dialects that can not only share Smalltalk source code, but use git/github as the common SCM:

  - Pharo
  - Squeak
  - GemStone
  - VW
  - Amber
  - Cuis

I encourage you to take a look at my STIC presentation on "Practical Git for Smalltalk"[6] for some more background info (sorry the video isn't available yet).

If you interested in following the progress of the projects, keep an eye on the Metacello mailing list[7]. I should have a preview version of Metacello available within a couple of weeks...Contributors are also welcome!

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/filetree/blob/pharo1.3/README.md
[2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work
[3] https://github.com/dalehenrich/sample/blob/master/README.md