Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 09:46:18 EDT 2012

I share your feelings... the way we handle sources right now is completely outdated and out of century.
now, some steps are being taken to improve situation) some others not:

You actually can change the default package-cache location. In fact, it is there because historical issues: years ago, the usual way to develop was to use just one image, and load everything there. Now we have changed that approach (*we*, that does not happens in other communities), and we usually start a new image when we want to do something new.
To learn how to redirect your cache, follow this post from Mariano: http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/pharo-tips-and-tricks/
Also... I want to propose to default the configuration to a shared package cache, but well...

btw... this "previous" way of development was the main reason why some stupid problems are emerging just now, i'e. MC breaks with long package-cache (already fixed), or the obvious observation for everyone now that MC does not fit us... it was perfectly fine until a couple of years ago, but now is being a burden more than a help :)
And well... about the MC thing,  while I disagree with the "compatibility" approach of Dale with cypress (I think he should just drop MC compatibility... is force a ferrari to run with wooden wheels), he is making a huge effort to allow the community to use git (and I suppose that work would be easily portable to others like mercurial, darcs, etc.)

Anyway... there is no magic solution (and Ulysse the monkey just know how to run tests, we failed to teach him to program for us :)...
This things take time and effort... we can be there eventually, but we can do just one step at a time.

best,
Esteban