Camillo Bruni camillobruni at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 09:37:21 EDT 2012

On 2012-07-04, at 15:30, Dennis Schetinin wrote:

> On Wednesday, 4 July 2012 г. at 16:11, Damien Cassou wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Dennis Schetinin <chaetal at gmail.com (mailto:chaetal at gmail.com)> wrote:
>>> Am I wrong considering migration to Git-or-AnythingElseTextOriented to be a
>>> give up on hopes for a real object-oriented source control/management as it
>>> could and should be in Smalltalk?
>>>

>> can you think of any feature we could have now we couldn't with Git?
> I didn't say "now", I talked about "hopes". E.g. hopes for "Source" Control Tool being aware of refactorings and other *operations* I apply to my program, instead of treating it as a plain text with some changes of unknown nature. I'm not sure it's possible right now (I know it's not, better to say?). But with a Smalltalk-based source control we can have it on one splendid day in the future. And I think on the Git way we'll finish with just some advanced text-comparison algorithms. No?

that has nothing to do with versioning per se.

You can always hook in a different merger for git (that's already a built in feature)
which simply redirects over a Pharo image and applies some more ST logic there.

Going for something that is even more st specific is a waste of time IMO.
What can you do else than storing text? ASTs? besides being incompatible
with the whole world of text editable things you won't win much :/. Besides
source code is quite a compact representation of ast's itself...

cami