Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 09:36:09 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Dennis Schetinin <chaetal at gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't say "now", I talked about "hopes". E.g. hopes for "Source" Control Tool being aware of refactorings and other *operations* I apply to my program, instead of treating it as a plain text with some changes of unknown nature. I'm not sure it's possible right now (I know it's not, better to say?). But with a Smalltalk-based source control we can have it on one splendid day in the future. And I think on the Git way we'll finish with just some advanced text-comparison algorithms. No?

I think using git or another VCS would prevent us from having this
bright future :-). Git for example won't store diffs or patches, it
saves the end result. Nothing prevent us from adding meta-data to a
commit to remember we did a refactoring at this point. I don't see how
the situation could be any better with object-oriented VCS.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry