Camillo Bruni camillobruni at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 09:10:52 EDT 2012

On 2012-07-04, at 15:02, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

>> can you think of any feature we could have now we couldn't with Git?
>
> With Squeaksource/Monticello I'm currently able to have a web based
> Smalltalk browser. So I dont have to fire up an image to
> digg into other peoples code.
>
> I expect that could be done with Git hosted projects too - but
> requires some work and another server providing the ST-IDE like
> feeling.
> So the "Smalltalk like user experience" is not available out of the
> box on the usual hosting services. This is a small step backward.
>
> One thing is a must: the usual handling of code should be
> preserved. As far as I understand this is the case even
> with an GIT-based MC!?
>
> Some questions:
>
> 1. Usually Git requires a local git installation.
>    Is the Git-MC binding a pure ST solution
>    working on all platforms or does it require some native
>    support?

FS-Git is a pure ST implementation to manipulate git repositories.
Currently we lack of support for the git-protocols since we don't
have ssh support in the image :)

> 2. Can I setup an own local repo in a simple directory similar
>    to Monticello or will it require some github stuff.

github has nothing to do with git, it's just a free hosting
service (such as gitorious). So yes, you can run evreything locally

> 3. Will the local package cache still contain MCZ's?

NO! it will store either 1 file per method or 1 single file per class
depending on which strategy you chose. But files are directly accessible
no zip madness

> On the other hand hosting on file based versioning systems
> would make source code indexable for search engines and
> could raise Smalltalks place in the (stupid) TIOBE index ;)

it could and it will!

For instance check the Pharo-2.0-Core fileout:
https://github.com/PharoProject/pharo-core

that is now used on ohloh to track progress :)

> I could imagine both: file based repos (Git) as well as
> ST-only solutions as long as they work and reliable.
> At the end of the day it's nothing more than a different
> representation of code.

eventually everything is file-based. MC does it using mcz which was a
simple and good solution back then but does not scale. Git is a filesystem
on it's own with very nice properties.

> An ST-only server side solution would at least allow for
> easy customization and allow the community to adapt the hosting
> to its needs.

with git there is no need for that. Git can use almost any source
as remote repository:

- any mounted volume
- a git repository somewhere on a server accessible via ssh