Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Wed Jul 4 09:02:06 EDT 2012

>can you think of any feature we could have now we couldn't with Git?

With Squeaksource/Monticello I'm currently able to have a web based
Smalltalk browser. So I dont have to fire up an image to
digg into other peoples code.

I expect that could be done with Git hosted projects too - but
requires some work and another server providing the ST-IDE like
feeling.
So the "Smalltalk like user experience" is not available out of the
box on the usual hosting services. This is a small step backward.

One thing is a must: the usual handling of code should be
preserved. As far as I understand this is the case even
with an GIT-based MC!?

Some questions:

 1. Usually Git requires a local git installation.
    Is the Git-MC binding a pure ST solution
    working on all platforms or does it require some native
    support?
 2. Can I setup an own local repo in a simple directory similar
    to Monticello or will it require some github stuff.
 3. Will the local package cache still contain MCZ's?

On the other hand hosting on file based versioning systems
would make source code indexable for search engines and
could raise Smalltalks place in the (stupid) TIOBE index ;)

I could imagine both: file based repos (Git) as well as
ST-only solutions as long as they work and reliable.
At the end of the day it's nothing more than a different
representation of code.

An ST-only server side solution would at least allow for
easy customization and allow the community to adapt the hosting
to its needs.

Bye
T.