Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 09:01:19 EDT 2012

On 4 July 2012 13:52, Camillo Bruni <camillobruni at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Gitocello [1] takes this approach. While Tim Felgentreff started it to
>> ease porting between Squeak and GNU Smalltalk, it works just fine as a
>> new MC backend. I use it a fair bit [2][3][4].
>>
>> Mind you I _haven't_ tried collaboration with it. If you had conflicts
>> you would need to use git to address the conflicts, and you can have
>> "inter-method" conflicts which are impossible with FileTree. (In other
>> words, conflict markers could start in one method and end in another.)
>> Probably the chunk format's date stuff would get annoying, as well.
>>

>> [1] https://github.com/timfel/gitocello
>> [2] https://github.com/frankshearar/Unification
>> [3] https://github.com/frankshearar/PersistentUnionFind
>> [4] https://github.com/frankshearar/Zippers
>>
>> frank
>
> ah nice, though you went for the one file per class approach.
>
> Which I think is not the best solution for pharo.
> For instance I want to replace the .changes / .sources file with
> one git repository which allows you to simply load new changes on
> demand and find methods with a minimal effort :)

Well, "you" is "Tim", but sure. Yes. I like Gitocello's approach
because I can use GitHub without having 1000 mini files. I also like
FileTree's approach of method-per-file, because that's the natural
granularity of Smalltalk code. I seem to recall Sean DeNigris showing
a screenshot of vim that "stitched" multiple files together to solve
the "FileTree problem". And I'd say that yes, if you changed the
.changes file into a repo (which is an awesome idea), you'd definitely
want method-per-file. You get method history for free!

frank