Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Wed Jul 4 02:55:06 EDT 2012

Norbert wrote:
>Ok, nothing to do here. Thank you, Captain Hindsight!

While I enjoy your humor and politeness on one side I really
doubt that there is nothing to do here.

How often do we face the outage of SqS. And now a private
server is yet again gone without an easy restore/access to
the backup. It's nice that we can all check our caches to
find the mcz's - but is this the backup strategy to go for
the future?

I provided the ConfigurationBrowser in Pharo to easily load
Metacello packages directly from within the image and spend
a lot of time checking appropriate configs for the various
Pharo versions. On one side we invest in making it easier
for people to load packages on the other side it often
did not work due to this brickle hosting we currently have.

Don't we need a serious discussion and actions on how
to get a reliable infrastructure with official mirrors?

By providing a prebuilt SqueakSource in the past [1] I hoped
the SqS situation will get better when people may setup own
servers and we have more and more mirrors on the net. It did
not happen. We now know that SqS is the "old way".

We currently face decisions what servers to use (SS3, SmalltalkHub, ...)
see issue #6093 [2]

Now we move to SS3 and SmalltalkHub. Can we answer the question
how reliable they are?

I like SmalltalkHub a lot. But still it is centralized and
if it is down it is down for all. Dont we need answers to the
question how independent our infrastructure will be in the future?
If it is backuped, mirrored or restorable?

Dale proposed mirroring for Metacello [3]. We also have filetree [4]
for directory-based Monticello packages enabling the use of Git,
SVN, ... allowing us to use more reliable infrastructure like GitHub, ...
Should we care?

But maybe I should shut up and wait until someone reboots
Squeaksource again (which is down today yet again)

Bye
T.

[1] http://astares.blogspot.de/2005/12/squeaksource-server-image.html
[1] http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=6093