[Pharo-project] UI blocked

Nevin Pratt nevin at bountifulbaby.com
Tue Oct 25 10:23:16 EDT 2011

On 10/23/11 11:36 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> My 1.3 #13299 image is blocked again, but just UI not responding to any
> input events, while Aida web app server is running smoothly in backrgound.
>
> > From Transcript I can see that last action was a new image backup
> procedure, which is done simply by :
>
>     OSProcess waitForCommand: 'cp some.image some-bck.image'.
>
> This procedure is called from a background process and report to
> Transcript its start and end. Is there something wrong with that? Or is
> some interference with OSProcess semaphores? (I saw such suspicious
> thing once before).
>
> In any case, is there a way to unblock image now? Ctrl or Alt . doesn't
> help.
>
> Best regards
> Janko

For what it's worth, the UI blocking also happens occasionally (not very often,
but occasionally) with Squeak 3.8/Seaside 2.8. But it's easy to unblock. Just
run the "screenshot" app (within Seaside), then at the top there is a "Suspend
UI Process" link. Click it to suspend, then click it again to unsuspend. That
almost always unblocks the UI, although occasionally I have to suspend and
unsuspend a second time, not just once.

But, because of the "screenshot" app is able to unblock it, the UI blocking
problem has never been more than a minor inconvenience.

Nevin