[Pharo-project] Metacello as the system evolves... (Fwd from Seaside-General: Which image for deployment?)

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue May 31 16:02:58 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <sean at clipperadams.com>wrote:

> The following is a conversation about not being able to load Seaside into
> Pharo 1.2 via Metacello (from the Seaside-general list). Shouldn't symbolic
> versions in Metacello have solved this problem?

No. #symbolic versions DOES solve the problem in the general way. But it is
up to the ConfigurationOf maitainer to assure that.
If ConfigurationOfSeaside doesn't load is not because of Metacello. Is
because nobody fix ConfigurationOfSeaside and #stable to make it work.

Cheers

mariano

> There should be different
> package versions tagged stable for each system (1.2.x, 1.3...) as
> necessary,
> no? It seems there's not much difference between:
>  Pharo 1.2 vs. Pharo 1.3
>               and
>  Pharo 1.2 vs. Squeak 4.2
>
> Doesn't symbolic versions finally allow us to have *one* configuration per
> project that will load into any Squeak/Pharo/etc? As a Metacello user, it
> would be comforting to know that there is only one configuration, or
> needing
> to find the /right/ one replaces one problem (dependencies) with another.

> >> Pharo
> >> 1.2.2-12353)
> >
> > That is a known problem (see
> >
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside-dev/2011-May/004786.html
> > and http://www.iam.unibe.ch/pipermail/moose-dev/2011-May/008309.html).
> > Some configurations that the Seaside Metacello Configuration depens on
> > have been updated to Pharo 1.3 breaking all users of older versions of
> > Pharo.
> >
> > I was told that the (Pharo?) Metacello configurations do not support
> > of Pharo (< 1.3) cannot load Seaside with Metacello anymore. There are
> > various solutions:
> >
> > - Move to (unstable) Pharo 1.3, use a maybe broken Seaside, and load
> > the code easily with Metacello (this is what Pharo wants us to do)
> > - Fix the configurations of Pharo or write our own configurations (no
> > clue how that could be done)
> > - Stay with (stable) Pharo and use Gofer scripts (this is what I do,
> > works pretty reliable and painless)
> >
> > In either case you should complain in the Pharo list, there is
> > something broken in the process. Personally, I am fedup with these
> > forced updates and will stick with Pharo 1.2 until there is a really
> > compelling reason to move forward.

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com