[Pharo-project] A radical proposal (to cut down dead code)

csrabak at bol.com.br csrabak at bol.com.br
Tue May 31 14:02:35 EDT 2011

Em 30/05/2011 23:27, Eliot Miranda < eliot.miranda at gmail.com > escreveu:

> On  Mon, May  30, 2011  at 6:50  PM, Craig  Latta <craig at netjam.org>
> wrote:
>

>  > [It's] impossible to authoritatively classify anything as "dead
>
> > code"  unless there's  a  reference standard  of  what's core  and
> > what's not core...
>   Yeah, in the meantime I define  "dead" as "not run for some amount
>  of time".
>
>  Surely "dead"  means not used  in the transitive closure  of useful
> packages.   I don't  see anyone  in this  thread proposing  to trawl
> Monticello repositories looking for  the latest versions of packages
> and then analysing what messages  these packages send.

Perhaps  could we use this  insight and reverse the consequent and the
antecedent:  how about have Monticello when  having packages deposited
create a database of messages sent?

To start it could be just a set and afterwards we could go after the
"real thing" with a kind of associative tree so we could know which
packages are clients of which methods.

my 0.1999999.....

--
Cesar Rabak