[Pharo-project] A radical proposal (to cut down dead code)

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sat May 28 11:24:49 EDT 2011

On 28. 05. 2011 15:35, Marcus Denker wrote:

> There is *a lot* of dead code in the image.
>
> I guess around 1/3 of the code base in Core is just not used at all (especially Morphic).
>
> One thing I would like to do is to put, at the beginning of a development cycle,
> a call
>
> 	self doesAnyOneUseThisTaggedIn: 'pharo 1.3'.
>
> at the beginning of *all* unsent methods. And keep it even in the released image.

To automatically track any usage of such methods, add also:

 - email a stack of any such method call to cleanup watcher
 - tag such method and count its usage out of those emails
 - after a year or so purge all untagged methods

This way image can actually be cleaned up without much angry guys out
there, also without a lot of work if cleanup is automated.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek