[Pharo-project] Zinc feedback

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Fri May 20 04:08:12 EDT 2011

Stef,

On 20 May 2011, at 08:57, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi Sven
>
> with igor we went over the start up list and we saw that ZnServer resgiter all subclasses of ZnServer.
> We think that it would be better to have a list of servers to be registered and that users can decide.
> What do you think?
>
> Stef

It is the traditional/classic idea that a server object in Smalltalk should survive image save/load. This is very convenient for beginners and during development. For production systems, explicit control is better.

Now that I look at the code again, I must agree that it is a bit weird: only those server registered/started as the default in their class fall under this scheme, not other instances.

So yes, an explicit managed list of ZnServer subclasses that need startup/shutdown would be nicer. If that is what you mean.

Sven