[Pharo-project] [Esug-list] [ANN] SmallHarbour project

laurent laffont laurent.laffont at gmail.com
Tue May 17 15:19:31 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Davorin Rusevljan <
davorin.rusevljan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting!
>
> Have you maybe considered to base it on the cloud foundry?

Actually we have several visions (nothing is final here, ideas welcome)

1/ SmallHarbour platform is meant to be a base for YOUR own hosting
platform, like your own seaside hosting. So whether you put it on the cloud
or on a real server should be a preference.

Actually we don't have any experience with cloud, so help will be
appreciated.

We plan to have a virtual appliance based on virtual box / vmware /.... for
an easy setup. Amazon VMI image should be a good idea too (we have to
learn).

For example:
a / I work in an enterprise, I want to easily deploy Smalltalk web
applications / tools on intranet for my co-workers and I don't want to spend
time on setting up servers, apache, ...... So I could just get the
appliance, start it and I'm ready to deploy several images.

b / I want to set up a unique VPS (or cloud platform) to deploy several
Smalltalk web apps / sites. I could just put my preferred Linux distro, then

apt-get install smallharbour  / pacman -s smallharbour / ....

/etc/rc.d/smallharbour start

and let's go !

2/ SmallHarbour hosting service which be like SeasideHosting, but for
commercial purposes. So you should create an account, pay a monthly / yearly
fee related to the service you want, then either

a/ upload your own image (like you do for SeasideHosting) if you're a power
user

b/ one-click deploy of pre-made image if you just want to setup a CMS, blog,
write a new book, event planing, ... Pre-made images should be updated
easily.

3/ People who need scalability, performance, deep customization don't need
SmallHarbour :)

Laurent

 Davorin Rusevljan