[Pharo-project] Convention to build cmd-line interfaces with Pharo?

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon May 16 05:35:29 EDT 2011

On 15 May 2011 17:40, Stefan Marr <pharo at stefan-marr.de> wrote:

> On 15 May 2011, at 14:57, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> look into 1.3 because we made it better so that you can pass something that is not an cs or st and that
>> you can specify who should handle it and not get the system barking dummily at you.
> That will probably help with Pharo 1.3, thanks.
>
> Unfortunately, that does not help me as an application developer.
> I still want to maintain compatibility with Squeak and Pharo 1.2 since that is the current stable version.
>
> So, I would still appreciate some guidance on what the best approach is to handle such incompatibilities.
> Are there some common practices how to encapsulate these differences?

Yes. On your place i would just trash everything and implement a good
command line interface from scratch. :)
As you may know, Squeak was inherently designed to not care about a
command-line and any stdio,
so we don't have a standartized way to handle command-line and
standard input/output :(
I don't remember what exactly was done in 1.3. Some cleanup i guess.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.