[Pharo-project] Convention to build cmd-line interfaces with Pharo?

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Sun May 15 06:40:53 EDT 2011

On 15 May 2011, at 11:13, Stefan Marr wrote:

> What I want eventually is the following:
>

> $ squeak-vm.sh Pharo-1.2.image --help
> SMark Benchmark Framework, version: SMark-StefanMarr.12
>
> Usage: <vm+image> SMarkHarness [runner] [reporter] <suiteOrBenchmark>
>                               [iterations [processes [problemSize]]]
>
> Arguments:
> runner             optional, a SMarkRunner class that executes the benchmarks
> reporter           optional, a SMarkReporter class that processes
>                              and displays the results
> suiteOrBenchmark   required, either a SMarkSuite with benchmarks,
>                              or a benchmark denoted by Suite.benchName
> iterations         optional, number of times the benchmarks are repeated
> processes          optional, number of processes/threads used by the benchmarks
> problemSize        optional, depending on benchmark for instance number of
>                              inner iterations or size of used data set

You could code around it at the shell level, giving your users a 'smark.sh' script that exposes a Unix like command line interface and hiding the actual invocation of the vm and image. But that would only cover Linux and Mac OS X I guess. On the other hand, Windows is quite different at the command level, so it would be hard to make all this totally transparent.

I think most Smalltalk user would be happy with a 'command line interface' at the Smalltalk level.

Sven