[Pharo-project] What we do with: "Embed source code for methods which get uninstalled from their classes" ???

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Thu May 12 18:24:37 EDT 2011

So....we used to have arround CM instances wrong. There was a problem with
the trailer and we fix it.

Then we did: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=4192

and, dev image took hous to finish:

because the Compiler recompileAll take ages because of the becomeFordward:
it does for the #dropSourcePointer

then igor solve it, it took less time, but we start to loose the source
pointer of COmpiledMethods while loading stuff from MC.

in addition, objects as methods started to fail because they do not
implement #dropSourcePointer:

so...al users of #run:with:in:  should also be broken now, like
TestCoverage, etc....

so...what do we do?  I would like to:

1) have a fast/normal recompileAll
2) not to loose source code

If the only way right now is rollbacking #dropSourcePointer and rollbacking
the implementation in objects as methods, please do it. Right now we are in
the worst case. For example, today when I discover the bug of loosing
sources...I commit my own package with a lots of methods with the decompiled
source...it took time to fix it.  So I think it is important to fix this.

Cheers

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com