Miguel Cobá miguel.coba at gmail.com
Fri May 6 12:55:29 EDT 2011

El vie, 06-05-2011 a las 18:32 +0200, Stefan Marr escribió:
> (And some more flame war here)

> >> Stef, if you haven't noticed: I don't care about Smalltalk, and I don't care about Pharo, or any other language out there in particular. I don't share your vision, I have other goals in life.
> >
> > So what are you doing here, the less the noise the best for everyone
> > else. You don't contribute, you only criticize, and then you said you
> > don't care, the we don't care about your "opinion". You can keep it for
> > yourself.
>
> Well, I think my work on the RoarVM is some contribution, no? Perhaps, I would be more interested in Pharo if it would actually run nicely on the RoarVM, but I am stuck with a Squeak 3.x MVC image for my day to day work. And without anyone from the community approaching the work to make Pharo thread-safe that won't change. It is nice to change the world with Pharo, but the future is multi/manycore and Pharo does not support it. Ah, and the day has just 24h so don't expect anything from me beside the VM work, thats already enough to keep a whole team busy.

I found your post very contradicting and without internal consistency.
You don't care about smalltalk but are creating a vm should run
smalltalk (squeak or pharo) in multiple core. Don't get it. Or you care
that you dedicate time to it or you don't care and don't know why you
build a multicore vm for a system you don't care (maybe the money, the
papers, the citations, don't know)

> >> That's what I mean. From my perspective, books about programming languages are a wast of effort.
> That is BS.
> How often do you see your colleagues going to the library, or the
shelf next door to grab a book while they are programming?
> It has been 10 years ago that they stopped doing so.

That is the reason that O'Reilly books is broken and stop printing books
5 year ago right. Also this other publisher, I think they use to call
themselves the pragmatic progammer, what a bunch of loser, trying to
publish new books in this days that google has everything that is to
know.

Wait, no, they exists and publish books, maybe is for having something
to do with their free time.

> Today, they google. Well, at least if they use another language than Smalltalk.
> And I don't think there is something inherently wrong with that.

Yes but isn't the only way to get knowledge. Maybe assembler should be
lectured no more, because we have high  level programing languages and
nobody needs that old tech anymore!

You said:
>> That's what I mean. From my perspective, books about programming
languages are a wast of effort.

and then:

>  I think, Stef's efforts of writing books should be supported,

inconsistent!

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz