Miguel Cobá miguel.coba at gmail.com
Fri May 6 11:11:09 EDT 2011

El vie, 06-05-2011 a las 12:57 +0200, Stefan Marr escribió:
> Sorry for the flam below. I didn't have the time and energy to rewrite it.

> No, I report things on the mailing list, and I complain here and there about the narrow-mindedness of Smalltalk-evangelists.
> And when it comes to documentation, I document that RoarVM you might have heard of. If that is not interesting for you, sorry, we just don't share the same interests.
>
> >> No need to get into a cat-fight here :)
> >
> > No this is not my point. But what do people really do to help?
> Stef, if you haven't noticed: I don't care about Smalltalk, and I don't care about Pharo, or any other language out there in particular. I don't share your vision, I have other goals in life.

So what are you doing here, the less the noise the best for everyone
else. You don't contribute, you only criticize, and then you said you
don't care, the we don't care about your "opinion". You can keep it for
yourself.

> The only thing I do here is to point out the obvious (at least from my narrow-minded perspective).
>

> > If this is just to spit out class comment on html I do not call that a documentation.
> > Now we can take the book contents and generate html
> > We have 350 pages in the first book and the same in the second one.
> > People are free to join and write one or two chapters.
>
> That's what I mean. From my perspective, books about programming languages are a wast of effort.
> You need a good entry level book, that is all it takes.
> The rest is great online documentation.

Umm, or you are very young or completely lost your mind. Internet as we
know today has a decade at most. The documentation you as happy use now
didn't existe 20 years ago. But, doesn't a lot of code was written more
than  20 years ago. How is that possible just with fucking books and
without google.

That is BS.

> Unfortunately, Smalltalkers don't know anything outside the image...
>
> I don't know how other people work, but I never look into books when I program. They just don't work.
> They are slow, outdated and hard to search in.
>
> Honestly, I don't understand why books are a priority for you when you want to develop a community.
> You got a good entry level book, so what is the motivation to write another one?

Because not everyone is so "smart" as you and we sometimes need to read
a book in a more directed way that a simple API list and no way to see
how is used. Also, check the Squeak wiki. Almost useless and  nobody
that is putting new content to it these days. On the other hands, the
Pharo by example and seaside pier books or the HPI Seaside books are
doing more for smalltalk than you want to accept.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz