Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Fri May 6 05:26:45 EDT 2011

On 06 May 2011, at 11:17, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>>> Now for the documentation when did you send an help documentation for any part of the system?
>>> Or a bug fix?
>>> I find quite funny that people always talk but few are doing. We welcome comments/examples help.
>> No need to get into a cat-fight here :)
>
> No this is not my point. But what do people really do to help?
>
>> I do agree with Stefan, as well as with you that we could help; but I'm unaware of a good documentation effort outside of the image to start with. Camillo's website project might be the best effort I've seen until now; but then I didn't really look either. Maybe I missed some great website?
>
> If this is just to spit out class comment on html I do not call that a documentation.
> Now we can take the book contents and generate html
> We have 350 pages in the first book and the same in the second one.
> People are free to join and write one or two chapters.

Stéphane,

Of course you are right: wining/complaining doesn't help, only action does. We need more people like Laurent focusing on documentation.

I for one think that the well written, high quality books that exist (PBE, Seaside Book) are *very valuable*, much better than confusing wiki site (although these have their place as well).

But the other point is: in most other popular languages, what current, young developers do, when they get an error that they don't understand is copy/paste the literal text in Google and in a surprisingly large number of cases you find some real answers in the first page.

This is also related to popularity of course.

Sven