[Pharo-project] Nile tests red - Pharo 1.3

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Thu May 5 07:45:42 EDT 2011

> Keep on making Pharo, IMHO it's the best thing that happened to squeak since years - though I was very septic at the beginning
> Last time I made a small demo to 2 of my collegues they didn't laugh - scouic - and were even impressed by smalltalk concepts

Thanks *a lot* alain.
we **know** what you think. We were teaching Smalltalk to students and look like idiots
during years. I should be one of the person that demoed a *lot* smalltalk and got burned.
I could impose Smalltalk in some places because of my strong large cv.

As we already said we invested a lot in Squeak (I wrote three books = 4 years to write one) and a lot of things.
For my job people were laughing: oh you are doing Smalltalk, little smile = you are an idiot while I'm the french which published the most in OOPSLA but this did not count..... and this was a problem for me to get a
job. I can continue the long list like that. So doing pharo was not an easy decision: it was pharo or ruby or python or lua.
I hope that we did not make the wrong choice - I'm not joking.

Now for pharo we have a vision:
	We want a system to invent the next one and that people can make a living with it.
	- bootstrappable
	- clean lean robust
	- (ideally) good interface with C
	- (ideally) a lovely fast readable documentd extensible VM
	- good infrastructure
		- meta model for code
		- browser for remote/crosscompilation/default browsing
		- new compiler
		- first class instance variable
		- new network layer
		- new graphics
		- new module system

At the end it may not be Smalltalk but it will be the same spirit. I think that we are slowly getting to the point
where we will start to invent new things instead of just removing old experiences.

Stef