sourav roy sourav_pharo at in.com
Thu May 5 06:12:37 EDT 2011

Hi Toon, I agreeto what have you said but as i am a beginner to smalltalk i need lot of help to get a good grip over it and moreover unlike other mainstream languages there are not much documents or professional from which i can get some guidance about it. And i feel as Smalltalk is quite vast and different in structure from the other mail(with my two month experiance and i may be wrong), a beginner needs some proper guidance to get his hands over smalltalk. So, i just request you to kindly guide me to how should i get into smalltalk. Thanks&Regards, Sourav  Original message From:"Toon Verwaest"< toon.verwaest at gmail.com >Date: 5 May 11 13:29:11Subject: Re: [Pharoproject] Popularity of Smalltalk in Software IndustryTo: pharoproject at lists.gforge.inria.frHi,I can tell you that independent of how the industry might perceive the language Smalltalk, learning Smalltalk will make you personally a better software engineer. And this is what the industry does want. You will look at prog
 ramming from a new angle and this will give you an edge. This is also true for learning other old languages like Scheme or Lisp. As long as you stay within your Java / .NET bubble you will be one in a billion. If you learn Smalltalk, the fact you know something that other people might not makes you more special. The only negative part of learning Smalltalk while working on other types of applications is that you will eat your shoe 95% of the time hating that Java / .NET aren't more evolved and flexible :)As it seems that you are already working on a project revolving around Smalltalk, be very happy that you are getting the opportunity to learn it; you'll come out for the better.Lastly, don't care too much about popularity within industry. If you take the time to learn the systems for yourself you will probably learn to understand the differences yourself. You are currently also part of industry and obviously don't know Smalltalk well yet; how informed was your decision to no
 t know Smalltalk? You are part of "the industry" making other people not choose Smalltalk based on your (non)choice of not using Smalltalk; if they would all think this way! Sheep won't change anything :)cheers,ToonOn 05/05/2011 07:38 AM, sourav roy wrote:Hi All, I have just started my career in Software/IT industry and got into a project which involes enhancement/maintainance of product built in Smalltalk. I was never exposed to this language before and have no idea if it is used in the Industry as popularly as JAVA and .NET and looks like its a DEADlanguage for the industry. I may be wrong but i need some clarification about it. I just want to know that why smalltalk is not so popular as the other OOPs Languages and what is the future prospect ofone if he/she is into Smalltalk development.Looking for some positive note so that it may give me some entho for working with Smalltalk. Thanks&Regards, Sourav Roy Get Yourself a cool, short @in.com Email ID now!Get Yourself a cool
 , short @in.com Email ID now!