[Pharo-project] Monticello package analysis?

Markus Fritsche fritsche.markus at googlemail.com
Tue May 3 04:10:51 EDT 2011

Hello,

I was thinking this morning about some tools to analyze monticello
packages before loading them into the image.

I usually like to have an image with many tools, unfortunately, some
packages break other ones sometimes. Therefore, I'd like to classify a
package before loading it, so I have better grounds for a decission to
load a package or to leave it in the repository :)

Before I start drafting something, I'd like to know if something like
this has already been done and I am just not aware of it (this is my
two weeks of smalltalk of the year).

I am think something like this:
Im-O-Im - Impact-On-Image
* Low - package includes only classes and no extensions. All
references to classes and globals are available in the current image
* Medium - package includes code that extends protocols of existing
classes (from another package/ kernel)
* High - package includes methods that alter protocols of existing
classes - chances are, that the package will break other stuff when
loaded
* Possible load error - package includes initialize methods of classe
that will not execute in the current environment, thus there will be a
debugger at initialization time
* Possible compile error - package includes underscore assignments
* Broken - package includes references to classes that are not part of
the current environment
* Unmet dependencies - package includes references to classes defined
in other packages (within the same repository)