[Pharo-project] SVN vs Git for the cogvm

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon May 2 14:03:29 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Camillo Bruni <camillo.bruni at inria.fr>wrote:

> On 2011-05-02, at 17:59, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
> > Hi Camillo,
> >
> > On May 2, 2011, at 8:22 AM, Camillo Bruni <camillo.bruni at inria.fr>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi eliot,
> >>
> >> I wanted to know if there is a particular reason that you use svn over
> git?
> > History.
> >
> >> Since it is quite a hassle each time to merge the svn history to the git
> repos, which I think is a bit of useless repetitive work which could be
> avoided.
> >> I think it would be nice if you could switch to git as well, actually
> there is not much difference to svn, and with some nice macros you can make
> behave almost the same...
> >
> > It's a hastle for me to change.
> sure, but all of us changed as well, which is at least 10 to 1 ;).
>
> > Surely you can set-up some script that pings the Cog branch every ten
> minutes and does the replication to got automatically.

Please, DON'T do that to the blessed. The most important thing from
gitorious is how to sync platforms code and VMMaker. Every commit in the
blessed comes with an associated (if required) new version in
ConfigurationOfCog, and hence, the update of the file
blesses/codegen-scripts/LoadVMMaker.st

That is the ONLY way to have in sync both parts and to be able to "always"
build a VM.

So...ok, we can have a cron automatically pick up the branch from SVN and
push it in gitorious, but please, not to blessed.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com