[Pharo-project] Think about migration upfront! (was Re: squeaksource is down - a different perspective)

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Mon May 2 04:00:55 EDT 2011

I think we should learn very carefully from Gemstone migration
experiences to develop our Smalltalk systems *upfront* with migration in
mind.

Just see all recent (or less recent) examples: MC2 seems too radical to
be easily migrated from MC1 and obviously designed without migration in
mind, SqueakSource as well, SS3 too?

Such systems just don't have any chance to be accepted and old systems
will live and live instead. So, don't develop just a "cool" stuff, take
some time to think about migration and long-term maintenance issues as
well, if you like that your system will be accepted with the community
to your glory :)

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek