[Pharo-project] Silly Tweet

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Thu Jun 30 04:15:31 EDT 2011

On Jun 30, 2011, at 9:57 AM, Fernando Olivero wrote:

> Why do people still use an older image?  Even as older as Pharo1.1 and 1.2.
>
> It doesn't take much to update to Pharo1.3 or Pharo1.4, and its
> totally worth the nuisance of updating a couple of classes references
> and uses, because of the many many many improvements that get
> integrated ( thanks for Marcus and Stef for the continuos improvements
> integration and fixes)

In a commercial setting, things are different... people need to really think hard
to move to a new system. Time is money, bugs are expensive, there is always
a deadline more important...

One thing we want to do with Pharo over the next years is to actually make it easy
to stay at an old version. And easy to gradually move to new versions.

It's an interesting question how a language and system can support software evolution
*for real*.

	Marcus

INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.