[Pharo-project] GraphViz in pharo

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Oct 28 17:28:37 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:10:05PM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Guillermo Polito wrote:
>
> >Hi! I downloaded Graphviz yesterday in my ubuntu machine using pharo 1.1.1
> >with cog, and graphviz worked very well :).
> >
> >Today I'm using a pharo 1.1 image and 4.0.2 VM on windows machine and I
> >can't make it work :(.
> >
> >Graphviz needs OSProcess and CommandShell.  I downloaded them, but there
> >are
> >some problems:
> >
> >- For windows it uses Win32Shell, which isn't in my Pharo Image of course
> >:P.  So I replaced it by CommandShell but it is still failing.
>
> Win32Shell is in FFI. CommandShell doesn't work on windows. If you want to
> use pipes instead of files for input/output on windows, then try
> ProcessWrapper.

GraphViz used to run on Windows by writing and reading temporary files.
On Unix/Mac it used OSProcess/CommandShell. I do not know the current
status of GraphViz, but I would expect that it would be possible to at
least get a file-based version working. ProcessWrapper would be better
if someone has done the work for that.

Dave