[Pharo-project] posting etiquette - please post new text at the *top* of your email

Niko Schwarz niko.schwarz at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 28 05:09:27 EDT 2010

I remember that alright. On some Usenet groups you'd get stoned to
death if you were to fullquote at the bottom. Postings like that we'd
call TOFU in Germanglish: ("Text oben, Fullquote unten"), and it was a
major offense to submit TOFU. And the holy scripture was RFC 1855
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855), "Content of a follow-up post
should exceed quoted content."

Today, just about everybody you commonly meet writes TOFU, unless
they've had a usenet history.

And keep in mind that quoting according to RFC 1855 is more than just
changing order: you carefully select the lines you wish to quote
(never more than 4 lines at ones, never quote greetings), you begin
your email with a greeting above the quote section, and so forth.

I think RFC1855-style messages still look beautiful, and they have
their place. But if you're too lazy to follow the gist of it, that's
alright with me, but then put your content at the top, so I don't have
to scroll down to Walhalla.

Niko

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Ramon Leon <ramon.leon at allresnet.com> wrote:
> On 10/27/2010 7:16 AM, Douglas Brebner wrote:
>>
>> Or even better, cut out the irrelevant quoted text :)
>
> Yes please, as top posting is *not* good etiquette, but that's an old flame
> war.
>
> --
> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com