[Pharo-project] posting etiquette - please post new text at the *top* of your email

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Wed Oct 27 15:12:31 EDT 2010

On 10/27/2010 12:11 AM, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:

> Unless there is a very good reason to provide the context, please add your new text *before* any quoted material.

I would exactly reverse this -- new text should come below the specific
point being commented on. I'm not sure I've ever seen a "very good
reason" to do otherwise.

Quoting the part of the email to which we are replying allows us to make
the reply shorter, and the email is much easier to understand, saving
readers time.

I suspect that Oscar's complaint stems from emails that quote an entire
message (or even the entire thread), then bury their responses within.
This is a legitimate complaint, as it does make their emails very hard
to read. Top-posting may be better than this. However, it's much better
to quote only the specific excerpt that you're replying to, and put that
above your reply.

Regards,

-Martin