[Pharo-project] posting etiquette - please post new text at the *top* of your email

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Wed Oct 27 08:55:43 EDT 2010

On 27.10.2010, at 09:11, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> It is really hard keeping up with the deluge of email on this list.  It is even harder if you have to search through posts to find the actual new text buried in all the quoted stuff.
>
> Unless there is a very good reason to provide the context, please add your new text *before* any quoted material.

Usually it is good idea to do it. Because even in this mail there is context to be re-established. There is often more then one statement in a mail you are referring generically from the top. That is really hard for people that don't have the context already. And for the archive it is even worse. I can see that it can become really messy because different mail readers have different quoting styles and it doesn't fit that well.

But then if you are not re-establishing context what's the point in posting the quoted material again?

Norbert