[Pharo-project] OCompletion doesn't work in Pharo 1.2 because of Preferences delete

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Tue Oct 26 17:28:47 EDT 2010

On Oct 26, 2010, at 11:18 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 2010, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> HI Ramain (or someone with time).
>>
>> OCompletion does not work anymore in Pharo 1.2 because of the Preferences
>> removal. It would be nice if you could update it to use the new settings
>> framework.
>
> I fixed some of the preference issues (i didn't upload it yet), but it's a PITA to make it work in Pharo 1.2, because too many things were changed and are therefore broken.

I can imagine.
We should really get a way to support automatic change application but this is a real job to build that.

> Btw what's with the "keep deprecated stuff for the next 2 minor versions" policy?

this is what we do: we will remove 1.1 deprecated methods in 1.3 alpha. May be we did not apply it totally and are messy with that
because we did not deprecated all the preferences methods.

> Preferences are gone in 1.2, but Settings were only introduced in 1.1 and Preferences doesn't seem to be deprecated at all in 1.1. So, according to the policy, Preferences should be available till at least 1.3.

the preferences class is just there in 1.2 to help people loading their code. but the behavior is gone.

Settings were introduced in 1.1 (but not used) so that people can migrate their code in 1.1 to save it in 1.2.
Alain reminds that recently.